Monday, June 29, 2009

Availability

Current Obsessive Thought: Availability.

The idea that committing to plans automatically shields you from any other option, even if you realize that the plans you made were the best decision to make.

This is something that I have not been able to escape for much of my life. And it applies in almost every situation. It doesn't necessarily keep me from making my decisions or choosing a certain set of plans, but it leaves me with a helpless and restricted feeling when I do. There are a lot of obvious explanations and reactions to this, but I don't feel like I'm alone on this topic. It's so weird the way our brain makes us feel. I could make plans to watch the fire works from the top of the ferris wheel on Navy Pier, but will be jealous of those watching from the beach. This is a long-standing idea of the grass always being greener, the fear of commitment to anything, and an attempt to never feel excluded or left out. All of things I see happen in my life. But what's the solution? How do we get to a state of just being happy with where we are and what we've decided?

Apparently I recognize the problem, so there has to be more than just identifying it. What's the next step?

No comments:

Post a Comment