Friday, April 30, 2010

My Ducks

So, way back in the day, when I was still using Facebook to publish my notes, I wrote about my ducks. Referencing a quote from A Lot Like Love, the idea was that you have to have priorities. First you get the job, then the car, then the girl, then the house, then the family, then it all makes sense. From A to B to C to Z, step by step. Planned. Coordinated.

So what I wrote about was not worrying about keeping my ducks in line. And I still 100% believe in that. There's no plan, no set way that I should live my life. If you're not flexible enough to welcome when a new duck enters your life, then you're setting yourself up for failure. This shouldn't be rocket science. I'm not a profit. I'm just explaining what is most logical.

But all that being said, I just turned in my signed and dated official contract that signifies the beginning of my first stint as a salaried employee. Ever. Up until this point, I've been an hourly employee at Linen N Things, my mom's company Gallagher Basset, my dad's company E.H. Wachs, worked part time for U of I, then came home and spent two and a half years as a contractor, filling out time sheets, working 40 hours, and always having a little asterisk next to my name in some way, highlighting that I'm not an official employee of the establishment in which I do my work.

So, back when I wrote, "Consistent, possibly stationary long term employment may be the first true mile marker in the journey of the rest of my life. Tentative check," well........ CHECK.

It may not be the first step, the lead duck, or whatever you want to call it, but for now, it's the most important one. And to this point, will stand as one of the most important things I've accomplished in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment