Friday, April 16, 2010

People Who Stare At People

So how many times do you swing your head around and peer into the window of the car next to you while you're driving? Pretty much every car you pass? But as soon as that person returns the stare, you look away like they're a solar eclipse. Or how about sitting in a crowded restaurant, checking out every face and body that so much as flinches. Different venue, same result. As soon as their eyes make it back to yours, you jerk your neck faster than a crash test dummy hitting a wall at 60mph.

I am 100% guilty of this. I don't know if there's a vehicle that I pass, which is a lot, that I don't check out to see who is driving. If the person was driving like a jackass, I want to see what a jackass looks like. Or confirm that they are on their phone or doing their makeup. If the car is especially nice, I want to see what a rich person looks like. And going back to 'What Drives You,' I've already judged every car on the road as soon as I see it. So more than anything, I'm just looking for confirmation of my judgment. Or, ya know, that rare time where I'm just looking to see if it's a cute girl. But that's rare. Very rare.

The restaurant scene has a slightly different feel. I might notice someone's summer dress and want to see what she looks like. Or overhear a conversation and wonder what kind of jackass would say something so dumb. So I have to look and see what a jackass looks like. Or I notice some special or exotic drink being delivered. I want to see what the elitist people are doing out in public besides showing off their ability to order adventurous drinks. And then judge the shit out of them. So more than anything, I'm just looking for confirmation of my judgment. Or, ya know, that rare time where I'm just looking to see if it's a cute girl. But that's rare. Very rare.

But still, from checking out a cute girl to mentally judging the jackass to admiring someone with good taste in vehicles or style, the overwhelming majority of the population immediately changes their stare once the look is returned. At this point, it teeters on the edge of extreme training and human instincts. I say human because I have never known an animal to be too shy to stare at someone, even long after the stare is returned. Are we all just timid little scaredy cats (pun intended) that can't deal with the pressures of seeing someone's eyes? Or do we feel that our intentional look is in some way invading the personal air space of our target?

Well I find both options rather curious.

Are we just all scared? I mean seriously. I would hope that the majority of the people who read the first few paragraphs kinda nodded their head in agreement. So we all know what we all are doing. There are no secrets here. When I drive by your car, I am going to look into it. When you drive by my car, you will look into it. So why, when we meet eyes, is it like the two positive ends of a magnet. Can't, possibly, stay, looking, directly, at, each other. Arrgghhhhh!

And do you really feel like you're breaching the protective bubble that we all walk around with. Do you get the heebie jeebies when you notice someone staring at you? If so, why? Are you *that* self conscious? If we all realize that most people that are staring are just confirming their previously assigned judgment, why do we feel so violated when a set of eyes stays on us longer than a passing second? We need to relax a little. But our response is to judge the person judging us. 'Who is that person lingering longer than the society standard?' And the only thing that will stop that feeling is if that person is cute!

So let's make a decision together. Don't stop staring, stop caring. So someone is looking at you... take it as a compliment. Return the glance if you so choose, or if you even notice. It is not an invasion of privacy, it's just looking. You do it too. Let's get over this socially trained fear of a set of eyes on us and just realize there are more important things than the jackass staring at you from the next lane. Like figuring out if the next car has a cute driver! But only on rare occasions...


3 comments:

  1. first, not sure this is completely edited the way you want it to be.

    second, i'm reminded of this: http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2010/01/27/two-things-on-staring/ which links to some great articles on staring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on point with this ramble until the end. You gave me a task. Not a fan.

    You know where there are more cute chicks...L-trains. I stare the shit out of them.

    I like Vin Diesel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get it....you go on for the majority of your article saying that you stare at people to pretty much confirm your "judgements" about them. Going on and on about how you want to see what the stupid person looks like...and then at the end you say "take it as a compliment" when someone is staring at you. A compliment that they are judging me....without knowing me?

    Hmm...

    ReplyDelete