Monday, May 24, 2010

My Dirty Little Secret

So while I was caught up watching Freaky Friday on my withering Sunday evening, I saw a commercial for ABC Family's Summer of Secrets, featuring season previews of teenage dramas revolving around lies, secrets, cover-ups, and any other less than honest activities. This is not the first time that the topic of secrets has inspired a rash of thoughts, so let's see if I can actually form them into something logical, literate, and legible.

Take some time to think about the secrets you currently keep. Things that are voluntarily kept out of the light, away from public discussion, hidden, locked, stored in a safe, and reserved for only the rarest of the rare situations. How long is your list? Did that process bring you through a rash of embarrassing, illegal, and possibly harmful thoughts, behaviors, and actions from your past?

I'm oscillating so much on this topic because I keep contradicting myself. So for the sake of writing, I'm going to have to make some generalizations that I recognize might have fragments of untruth. I apologize for this, but it helps me to be able to place my head around the idea. Since secrets can be positive, like confessing love, or conspiracy driven, like political scandals, or even beneficial, like a sweet, secret agent, you have to forget those and follow my logic. The secrets I'm referring to are the ones that make you feel guilty to keep them, that create lies and deceits to cover them up, and have the potential to ruin a positive experience if ever leaked.

Secrets have been popping up in a lot of entertainment recently, and the display of dramatic irony is key to keeping the audience guessing, or characters in the show guessing. We don't need that in our lives. Secrets and lies often parallel each other, and when the topic of under-the-rugging flirts with danger, the stakes are raised and the effect is snowballed. So something that starts as an innocent infraction, a minor case of bending the laws (legally, emotionally, personally, whatever), can fester, grow, and become an uncageable beast. Something small but dangerous requires constant suppression, guilty lies, and keeping the truth away from people that may be closest to you.

I know, I am writing in vague terms with poor examples and dizzying synonyms, but I guess this little rambling was meant to convince you to keep less secrets, be less dramatic, and leave the chaos that comes with covering the truth to the paid actors. The less you have to cover up, the more people will get to know the real you. And if the real you is something you're trying to hide, then consider making positive changes in your life so that you can leave more of it exposed.


1 comment: