Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mystery Science Theory

So last month I wrote about keeping secrets. If I may, "...leave the chaos that comes with covering the truth to the paid actors. The less you have to cover up, the more people will get to know the real you." Furthermore, I ended a post from over a year ago about 'not letting them see you coming' (a Devil's Advocate quote) with, "So here I am. Uncovered and raw. Take me as you find me. I offer no less. And I hope that's enough."

Well let's feed the idea that there are two sides to every story, while feeding my reputation of being a walking contradiction, and look at the flip side to that coin (and ignoring the three cliché phrases I used in that sentence).

I have previously acknowledged that there is something to be gained, and edge, you might say, by feeding the belief that you are weaker than your opponent. But I don't want to explore this idea in that context. Every situation in life isn't a fight, or confrontation. You're not always in need to have the upper hand. So the idea of being the underdog doesn't really relate to real life.

Family, friendships, relationships, etc.

There are worse things than keeping parts of your life under the bed, on the shelf, or out of the light. And there's a difference between being an open book and disclosing all your information. An open book still requires the effort and attention to detail of someone willing to search for results. This is drastically different than megaphoning your life story, secrets, fears, passions, and dreams for the world to hear.

It is healthy to be a little mysterious. Being mysterious doesn't imply you're hiding skeletons, but just that you reveal enough of yourself to keep attention, but don't give too much away to appear boring. People are often attracted to that which they do not know. The unknown is not only more powerful than the known, but its more appealing, holds more value. How many times will you take the grab bag instead of the prize already displayed? How many times are you intrigued by someone you don't know as opposed to those you see daily?

Does this mean it's the best decision? There is no best decision. But just be aware of what cards you show, and which ones you keep buried. You never know who is scoping your hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment