Thursday, September 30, 2010

Following Through

Goals are important. Resolutions, too. Anything you can plan out in an attempt to better your life, to accomplish something, to make a positive change that will increase the odds of happiness, all of it is gold. Being a planner, that step is important. Whether it's writing a five page essay about a poem or getting ready to walk down the aisle, planning is and should be an integral part of the process. Planning is the launching pad from which you are able to complete the task at hand. But all the planning in the world can't help you if you don't have the will to do it.

Back in March, I wrote about my lifelong desire to have piano skills as a hidden talent. Well I guess it wasn't lifelong, or I probably would have taken piano lessons as a kid. But as I breech the barrier into my adult years, I am jealous of those with the dexterous ability to rattle the ivories. And the moral of that story? It's never too late to start, so avoid the complacency of my comfortable life and take action. I was very pleased with this idea. But words that are digitally imprinted on the screen can only mean so much. It would be my dream if my words were able to inspire someone to start something new and explore new experiences, but what kind of hypocrite if I never followed through myself. I don't want to be a theorist, writing based on what I think as opposed to what I have done, or what I will do. How empty will my words fall on your ears if you knew I didn't heed my own advice? Talk is cheap, so to speak. Like the phrase I love, 'Be the change you wish to see in the world.'

Well, you will be happy to know that 5 weeks ago, I began my first piano lesson under the guidance of my brilliantly talented cousin, who, not surprisingly, was forced to take piano lessons before he knew what a piano was. I traveled to his apartment a mere mile and a half away, and over several beers and almost constant laughter, we knocked out a solid hour of beginner learning. What I've come to find out is as challenging I thought it would be to learn something new as an adult, the capacity of my mind to apply knowledge makes learning the fundamentals of playing piano quite a bit easier than I anticipated. While a 4 year old might be instructed to place fingers on keys and push down when told, the adult mind can comprehend the general ideas, and as long as the lesson is catered to an adult mind, much more can be accomplished in a short period of time. Not knowing for sure how serious my cousin was, he claimed that I learned in 1 hour what he learned in 1 year as a kid. This little comparison was not only staggering, but encouraging. It kind of makes me mad that I didn't start this earlier. I could have been Sebastian Bach by now. But the long talked about meeting was everything I had hoped, and definitely got me paging through websites about piano and trying to learn as much as I could without being in his presence or having a keyboard of my own to practice on. Slipping between two busy schedules, we met again two weeks after our kickoff lesson. Now with his expectation, the hits continued to be delivered. With the basics coming easier than I thought, I knew this was something I would stick with. And I am pleased to announce that 13 days ago, after a little Criagslist negotiating, I took home my very first keyboard, opening the door to hours of practicing and annoying my roommate.

Goal: Learn to play the piano. Plan: Ask cousin to teach me. Result: ACTUALLY DID IT

Back in August, I wrote about my trip to New York City. Not so much about the trip, but about some of the phenomenal pictures that I took. My plan was to use these as more than Facebook entertainment and get them printed, poster size, frame them, and decorate my walls with personal art. The idea was that the sense of accomplishment can be more valuable than the result. I may be able to purchase some kickass panoramic posters of the NYC skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge, but being able to point to the name at the bottom of the frame and smile, knowing its your own signature, is priceless.

Well, once again, great in theory, but without action, empty. The posters (2) are ordered (from Large Format Posters.com), the frames have been purchased (36" x 12"), and within the next week, my apartment will be newly decorated by original art. I decided against the whole 'three pictures taken within 50 feet of each other,' and instead found my two favorite pictures, cropped them to fit, and though that it would look better on the wall. I have a picture of Central Park, with some hills, trees, and buildings, that when chopped down, really takes a special form. The second is a picture of the heart of Manhattan, Empire State Building acting as the center piece, with a few cables of the Brooklyn Bridge slicing through the frame. I am beyond excited to see how these will turn out, and even more excited to adorn my walls with something I created.

Goal: Decorate my walls with something I created. Plan: Find my favorite two NYC pictures and crop til perfect. Result: ACTUALLY DID IT

The point of this post wasn't to toot my own horn, but you're welcome to toot it for me. The point is, the best theories in the world mean nothing if there is no result. I try, very hard, to live by the way I describe in my writing. Whether it's refusing to overheat when yet another person flies up the right lane on Addison at Western without turn right, or slowing down my thoughts enough to get a decent night’s sleep, I wouldn't write it if I didn't believe in it. But believing in it is different than doing it. And following through with what you proclamation is what separates the ‘phonies’ from the ‘realies.’ And I am here to tell you that I can be hypocritical. I can be lazy when I claim to be motivated. I can be an asshole when I claim to be a nice guy. I can even have a short fuse when I claim to be as calm and relaxed as possible. But it's not often. And I am truly proud to say that I have followed through with two things that I could have easily only used to write about.

And I can honestly say, not only am I a.) avoiding complacency and b.) accomplishing something myself, but I am adding a skill set and a sweet new decoration. The results are multiplied. I hope you find the same reward when you follow through with something you've wanted to start. It's never too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment