Monday, April 6, 2009

The Hand Up Mona Lisa's Skirt

So I kind of pride myself on having nothing to hide. This may or may not be a good thing. May or may not be encouraged. But is still something I believe in. I live my life and carry myself in a way where anyone should be able to access my thoughts and hear my reasons or my opinions. I think I can use this as a tool rather than a deficiency, obviously, or I would be dumb to keep doing it.

There are some contrasting thoughts as I continue to explore this idea. The very idea of writing this means I haven't jumped ship yet. As often as I can shed light onto a topic that some may not have considered, I also show my cards. But to move forward...

A part of me believes that the only way to win is to announce your presence, open your files, expose your secrets, and bear your arms, telling your opposition, confrontation, or any other form of interaction that you are what you are, you are not scared, and you will be strong. I know strength isn't always the preferred outcome, so I'll just say, whatever you desire, you show. This is my honest approach. This is my, you know what you're getting, no bones in my closet, with nothing hiding, nothing can come back to bite me, mentality. I like this. This makes sense to me. If you know me at all, things that make sense appeal to me.

The problem is the other side of the argument makes sense too.

"Don't get too cocky my boy. No matter how good you are don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous. Be the little guy. You know, the nerd... the leper... shit-kickin' surfer. Look at me: underestimated from day one... ...I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt. I'm a surprise. They don't see me coming..."

That's a quote from a great movie. But it makes my counterpoint perfectly. And I agree with it. It's hard to find a whole lot of research to back up this theory. It's hard to make a slew of scientific, hard nose points that completely convey this idea. It's not a new idea to think that the underdog has an advantage. But it should be viewed at more than just a sports theme. The underdog is also someone that keeps their hand hidden and catches people off guard. This is a strength. This is effective.

But I guess for me, the latter is a form of deception. Could be considered harmless... but I don't like to work that way. Least not often. Someone recently said that you don't have anything unless you have trust. So here I am. Uncovered and raw. Take me as you find me. I offer no less. And I hope that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment