Monday, August 3, 2009

Fake Tears

I'm a sap. Most of you know this. So how was I able to 'keep my cheeks dry' when I had to say goodbye to a friend who's moving away? I have a theory.

For me, tears are not hard to come by. Movies and TV shows have their way with my tear ducts. For some reason, watching paid actors pretend to be devastated evokes such a strong feeling from me. Shows like Scrubs will get me going. Series finales have always affected me. I even got teary-eyed listening to Mike and Mike in the morning on my way to work. That's a sports talk radio show. They were raising money for the Jimmy V Foundation, a foundation for cancer research, and reading emails and texts that listeners were sending in. The unprecedented appreciation for every dollar donated, and the stories of family members that have passed, and the ones that survived, I don't know, it just plucked at my heart string.

Hell, even hearing Sugarland cover REM is giving me the chills. Knowing how much passion is behind the every word of the 'the one i love' makes me shiver with emotion.

But when I was faced with an emotional and depressing real life situation, someone standing in front of me, someone I've grown very close to over the last 12 months, someone moving on and moving out, I barely felt an ounce of sadness. Why? Because I was genuinely happy. Happy for my friend exploring a new opportunity. Happy for the last year that we've had a chance to get to know each other. Happy
for the bond that was formed. And happy that the situation was being played out by real people, so there was no heart shattering music, no camera tricks, zooms, cuts, there were no trained facial expressions, no reaction shots, no second takes, direction motivation, no false forced feelings. Just the raw, pure, and genuine appreciation for the happiness I had experienced with her, and the hope and promise that the future brings.

So I guess it takes fiction to get me choked up. And I'm pretty okay with that. Let's me appreciate the best of my own life for what its worth. Not a bad place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment