Thursday, January 15, 2009

Below Zero

Current Temperature: -10
Current Windchill: -28

What kind of masocists are we? Why do we put ourselves through frozen snot and immobolizing wind gusts? How long have I lived in this area when I see the temperature is subzero, the I walk outside and think, "oh this isn't so bad."

It's strange, but I believe the emergence of negative degrees slows down your mind along with your body. I am slower to process things. My usual constant hop scotch from thought to idea to notion to quote to story to person, and back, has slowed in tempo. I'm not killing myself with thoughts. Not ruining myself with tangents. My premonitions aren't murderers. I'm not over analyzing, cause I don't have the quickness. For those that don't know me, that's a good thing.

Even stranger, I don't have to physically be cold for this effect to occur. The awareness that on the other side of my wall, homeless people are dying, makes everything feel like it's running through peanut butter. swimming through jelly. Believe or not, this makes writing, more difficult. But maybe that's what this world needs more of. Everyone seems to be sprinting with cleats and dolphining through water. Maybe a hearty dip into a peanut butter and jelly sandwich will makes things a little easier on everyone. People are trying all the time to speed things up. The truths in life may only be felt when there is time enough to embrace them.

So instead of fleeing this ironic hell with a paradisal getaway, bask in its innate ability to alter the basic speed in which your mind, and consequently your body, functions. You never know what you might discover.



No comments:

Post a Comment