Friday, February 6, 2009

Heated Argument

So, people that know me know this: I tend to argue a lot. There aren't many comments that go by where I just say, 'yeah, ya know. you're right.' This leads most people to believe that I am an asshole. That I can't let someone be right. That no matter what the subject is, my opinion will differ from yours, and my opinion is right. Even if that's usually true (cough cough), I recently realized what the rooted inspiration is behind my disagreeable nature. Interested? You have to keep reading.

Last night, someone told me she hated, hated, burning her tongue, explaining how the burn seems to last forever, and since you use your tongue for so many things, it affects a large portion of your daily life. Who wouldn't agree with this? What sane person would hear a perfectly logical and agreeable comment and think, 'well actually...'. Was I just trying to pick a fight?

I start by disagreeing. *gasp* I say that the pain in the tongue lasts about as long as most pains. That, depending on your situation or activity, some pains or injuries can affect daily life much more: a sprained ankle for a mail person, a broken finger for a stenographer, etc. Some (like me) would call this engaging in conversation. Most people call this being annoying. This I know. People tell me these things.

But here I am to solve the mysteryyy! (said like 'but here i am to save the daaaaayyy. try it. now.)

I actually agree with said 'burning tongue' comment. There's nothing worse than taking the first bite of that delicious looking pizza, only to have some disproportionately steaming slop of sauce squirt aimlessly through your mouth, ultimately landing on the pitchers mound of the baseball field that is your tongue. Ruins the rest of the meal. And the next 8. Cold drinks hurt. Warm foods seam flaming. Talking makes you feel dumb.

So then why disagree? Just for conversation? NO! Well kinda.

I fall back on this inane desire to look at everything from more than one angle. Toss out some cliches, and they apply. Nothing is what it seems. Two sides to every story. Whatever. But my goal is usually to unground and uproot people that are so caught in their own opinions and ideas that they don't realize that there are some other completely plausible and logical answers out there. I'm not here to tell you what is right. I'm just telling you that you may not be right. Even if I agree with you. Because believing everything you think, is a slippery slope. It could be something big, like generalizations about an entire demographic. Or it could be something small, like 'is bruning your tongue really all that bad?' But attaching yourself to something leaves you unbalanced. And, yes, you guessed it, I can bring this back to balance. Always hearing the other story keeps your weight over both feet. Even someone like me, who, through being a pitcher, learned unbelievable strength and balance on one leg (my right, obviously), it starts by keeping your weight centered.

ADDENDUM:
Dictionary.com Word of the Day for 2/12 - froward: willfully contrary.

I am Froward.



No comments:

Post a Comment