Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Super Night

I'm a sports guy. Not the sports guy. Not someone overly immersed in stats. I don't subscribe to TV sport packages. I have a general distaste for several kinds of sports. Unless I'm around my dad, I don't listen to sportstalk radio. I don't go to many games. And the only jersey's I wear are my own from previous playing years.

That being said, I like sports. Probably more than most of the people I hang out with or see at work. It's a pretty 'techy' place, but regardless, I watch, listen to, and can talk about a pretty wide range of athletics. Obviously, there's a hierarchy: MLB, College Basketball, College Football, NFL, NBA Playoffs, Hockey, Etc.

But what I've started to realize is how much a sport is about the social aspect as opposed to the appreciation of physical greatness. Aside from baseball, the sport I played for thirteen years, and from Illinois, the school I went to for 4 years, my royalties aren't too rooted. Yes, I'm a Bears fan, and Bulls fan, and Hawks fan, and a general fan of all sports, but the competition itself is not what draws me. And this all culminated two days ago.

The night of the Super Bowl.

Some sports media members have proclaimed it the best super bowl game in history. Ever. It gets two weeks of coverage. Million dollar ads. Icy pregame parties. The top of the Hollywood crop.

Yet I had more fun talking with my friends at a bar. I watched a good chunk of the game... while I was playing golden tee, eating pizza, playing music, telling stories, and meeting new people. I saw the last 4 or 5 drives, and got pretty excited. But at some point, the game starts to no
t matter. Sure, it was nifty athleticism, gutsy performances, and mammoth receivers, but the bigger impact on my life was the people that were with me. I was with 20 of my nearest and dearest. That fact, and nothing else, was the reason I had a blast for 5 hours on a sunday night. I didn't even hear Bruce Springsteen, cuz 'Who Let the Dogs Out' was blasting on the juke box, and I couldn't stop laughing.

So thanks, Super Bowl, for getting everyone out on a Sunday. I recently commented that this most popular single event in America should be played out on a Saturday, but now, after experiencing it one more time and seeing the aftermath, I love the event where it is, whether a game is played or not. Here's to Irish Car Bombs at 10:30pm on a Sunday.


1 comment:

  1. you had only one chance to watch that game
    intently, as each great play unfolded, without
    knowing the outcome until one of the most memorable plays of any Super Bowl happened with
    35 seconds remaining. You'll have plenty of
    chances to do what you have already done countless times before.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete