Thursday, March 5, 2009

BDubs

So I'm breaking my promise. My goal is caput. I wanted to set aside an hour of 'free time' a night to write in this thing. Well I just got home from work. I ran around our lake at UL. It was windy. But warm. And it felt awesome. Then I went to Jewel. I bought some delicious things.

Then I listened to the Drew Walker drive at 5 in hopes of winning tickets for Rascal Flatts and Darius Rucker at Wrigley Field. I didn't win.

And tonight, the Newport Kids are getting together for a boys night of boneless wings, illinois basketball, and birthday celebrations. I am dedicating as much time as I can.

But Buffalo Wild Wings has become a staple in the lives of my close friends. It is one of the closest thing we have to a tradition among us. Besides Mills' lakehouse, Christmas at RJ's, and partying with parents, BDubs got us out of the house on a Thursday night to enjoy 23 OZ drafts and 60 cent boneless bits of heaven. We have not lost this. We still find time to get together and have a little family dinner. I enjoy this.

As my generation, specifically my friends, age, it is up to us to begin new traditions, to take over the reigns that we once followed, and keep our strings attached. As kids that all went to the same high school, it is inevitable that branches will be broken. Kids will move on. Kids will move out. And while we're not all living in the same city, or state, or world sometimes, we have found something trivial enough to hold on to. It made it hard to sit through work today, knowing I had 15 pieces of Caribbean Jerk, Spicy Garlic, and Asian Zing to go with a tall, bubbly draft of Budweiser.

So while I have lost the promise of dedicating a full 60 minutes to my blog, I am keeping the ties that bind me to the friends I depend on. Sometimes, breaking a goal is done in order to perserve a different one

No comments:

Post a Comment